Shrimp Fried "Rice" Recipe

TGIF!  I am so happy it is the weekend -- I am headed to NYC for a girls' weekend and I couldn't be more excited!  Since many of us will be eating our share of chocolate this weekend, I thought I would share a healthy and delicious recipe to kick off your weekend.


While grocery shopping this past weekend, I finally found the riced cauliflower from Trader Joe's.  It's been all over the interwebs and my store finally had some in stock.  I bought three bags just in case I loved it.  I am so glad I did!  I decided to make a fried "rice" because I knew it would be a great way to get in some veggies.  Thanks to the cauliflower already being prepped, this makes it a great option for a weeknight meal.


This recipe is totally customizable.  You could easily switch up the protein.  I chose shrimp because it's high in protein and low in calories, but this would be equally delicious with chicken, pork or tofu.  Feel free to mix it up with the veggies, too!


 

Shrimp Fried Cauliflower "Rice"
Serves: 2-3


12 oz. riced cauliflower
12 oz. large raw shrimp, peeled
1 stalk celery, diced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1/3 cup shredded carrots or 1 medium carrot, diced
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup snow peas, cut in half (make sure to remove the stringy membrane)
1/3 cup egg whites
1 large egg
2 T soy sauce (I used tamari)
1 T garlic, finely chopped (I like a lot of garlic)
Salt & pepper, to taste
Nonstick spray
Optional: scallions or chives for garnish, diced

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.  Spray with nonstick spray and add shrimp once pan is hot enough.  Season with salt and pepper, if desired.  Once the shrimp turns pink, flip to cook other side.  This should only take a few minutes.  Be careful not to overcook as you do not want the shrimp to become tough. You'll also be adding the shrimp back into the pan later, so undercooking the shrimp just a little is perfectly fine.  Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.

Spray pan again and add all the veggies (except the scallions/chives).  Cook for a few minutes until onions are translucent and veggies are soft.  Add in the cauliflower, soy sauce and garlic.  Combine with veggies.  Turn heat up to medium high and continue to cook until cauliflower is done.  I cooked it for about 12-15 minutes because I like to get a nice caramel color on the rice and veggies.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed.

Add shrimp back into pan.  Make a hole in the middle of the pan and add the egg and egg whites.  Let sit for about 45 seconds, then stir to break up the yolk and add into the veggie and shrimp mixture.  I like larger pieces of egg, so I don't mix it up too much, but mix it in a bit more if you like smaller pieces of egg.

Top with diced scallions or chives and enjoy!

Labels: , , , ,