Healthier Bananas Foster Recipe

Last night after dinner, I was craving something sweet.  I ran a quick inventory of my pantry in my head and decided I would make bananas foster.  Normally, I prefer this served over a big scoop of ice cream, but this still hit the spot.  The entire dish came together really quickly and I am looking forward to making it again!



Healthier Bananas Foster
Serves: 1 (can easily be multiplied)

1 medium banana, sliced
1 T brown sugar
1 T rum
1 T water
1 t coconut oil or salted butter
Pinch of salt (omit if using salted butter)
Dash of cinnamon
Splash of vanilla

Place a skillet on medium heat and add the coconut oil and brown sugar.  Stir until melted, then add water, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.  Turn heat up to medium high and continue stirring until the mixture bubbles and the sugar has dissolved.  Add bananas and stir until coated.  Turn heat on high, add rum and tilt toward flame to catch on fire.  Immediately take the skillet off the flame and stir until the flame has died.  Turn flame down to medium and return skillet to flame.  Continue cooking until bananas are well coated and cooked to your liking.

I ate this as is, but I bet this would be great over ice cream or topped with whipped cream.

Note: If you do not have a gas stove, you can easily light the bananas using candle lighter or a fireplace match (nothing so short you could risk burning yourself).

Enjoy!



Labels: ,