Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Burger Recipe

After drooling over reading Jessica's recipe for buffalo chicken fries, I've had buffalo chicken on the brain.  So, when meal planning for the week, I made sure to include a buffalo chicken burger on the menu and picked up all the necessary ingredients.

The best part of this burger is it's stuffed with blue cheese!  Yes!  It's a nice little surprise when you cut into the burger and see the melty cheese inside.  I decided to add shredded carrots to the burger to make them a bit healthier.  Plus, it's just another way to get in some veggies.  I also grated onion into the mix since ground chicken breast is so lean, I wanted to make sure they didn't become too dry.  I often do this with lean ground turkey and beef.

I served my burger topped with a bit of blue cheese as well as a few dashes of Frank's hot buffalo sauce.  I put that **** on everything!  I also made a batch of confetti slaw from Skinnytaste's cookbook.  I modified it slightly by using broccoli slaw in place of cabbage and I omitted the cucumbers and peppers.  I also added some cilantro and parsley.  It paired nicely with the burger.


Blue Cheese Stuffed Buffalo Chicken Burgers
Serves: 4 (or 2 generously)

1 lb. Ground chicken
2-4 T. Buffalo sauce (depends on how much spice you like)
1/3 c. Shredded carrots
1/3 Onion
4 T. Blue cheese crumbles plus more for topping, if desired
1 t. Garlic powder
Salt & pepper

Place chicken, buffalo sauce, carrots, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a bowl.  Grate onion and combine.  Be careful not to over mix as that will create a tough burger.  Divide into four even portions (or two, if you want a big burger).  Form each portion into a burger and make a dent in the middle.  This is where you will place the blue cheese (1 T. each).  Place the blue cheese in the dent and reform the burger, making sure all the cheese is sealed well.  Make another dent in the middle.  Doing so will allow the juices to distribute evenly and keep the burger flat while cooking.  Nobody likes a burger that's puffed up in the middle!

Heat up a skillet on medium and coat with nonstick spray.  Cook until brown and flip.  Continue to cook until done.  Normally, I would press on the burger to check its doneness, but with chicken or turkey burgers, I tend to use a meat thermometer.  You want to make sure the burger is around 160 degrees (will continue to cook once removed from heat and rested).  Let rest a few minutes.  Serve with sides of your choice and enjoy!







Labels: , , ,