Staying Motivated

Happy Thursday! We're already three weeks into 2016, so I thought I would check in with you, as well as myself, to see how we're staying motivated with our new goals.  I didn't formally set any resolutions or goals for the year, but I have been making some small changes toward getting healthier and stronger.  Here are some of the changes I've made, or plan to make, as well as ways to help stay motivated.
 
Try New Classes So far this month, I've tried classes at Orangetheory (although technically, I took a class in December) as well as Rev'd cycling.  I enjoyed them both and I've already booked two more OT classes for this week!  I attended a couple of these classes with a friend, so the accountability definitely helps.  Since these classes aren't cheap, I am more motivated to not bail on a class.  Hey, money is as good a motivator as any!  Also, I found out Class Pass offers a new member rate of $19 for two weeks, so I may join and try some more new classes!
 
 
Incorporate Yoga I have tried yoga in the past and didn't really enjoy it. But, I know how good it is for stretching, especially for runners.  I belong to the Y, and I am trying to find a beginner friendly class that is focused on stretching, as opposed to meditation.  While I appreciate the mindfulness and meditation aspect of yoga, it's not really my thing.
 

Eat More Balanced I am generally a healthy eater, but I love my share of carbs and sweets.  In an effort to eat more fruits and veggies, as well as lose weight and just feel better overall, I joined Weight Watchers this past weekend.  I'm not a week in yet, so I can't say if it's working, but it does take some getting used to.  I haven't been eating many more fruits and veggies than usual, which I thought I would since most of them are 0 points.  I am trying to incorporate more of them, but if I'm not hungry, I am not going to eat them for the sake of eating them and because they have no points. I have included them in every meal, which is a good change, but I don't think I'm necessarily eating much more than previously.  Does that make sense or is my logic all off?  Ha!
 
 
How to stay motivated definitely varies from person to person.  For me, it's making decent progress.  Back in 2008, what motivated me to keep eating well and exercising was losing weight every week.  I lost nearly 75 pounds by counting calories and exercising about nine hours a week.  I have slowly gained back the weight and have tried multiple times to lose it without success.  I would lose maybe a few pounds a month, which wasn't bad, but it wasn't great.  So, I would quit.  I know I need to stick with something for a while to see results, but results is what generally keeps me motivated.  Can you say catch 22?  I'm hoping by joining Weight Watchers, I will start, and continue to lose weight so I will stick with it.
 
Some Ideas for Staying Motivated
  • If you're looking to lose weight, put $1 (a quarter, a penny) per pound in a jar to see your weight loss add up; remove $1 per pound gained.  Use this money toward a new wardrobe, a vacation, anything!
  • Set achievable milestones and reward yourself for each one reached.  For example, buy yourself new workout gear or book a massage for meeting your workout goals each month.
  • Don't be down on yourself - If you're not meeting your goals, reevaluate them to make sure you haven't made your goals too big at this point in your life.  I prefer smaller goals, which will hopefully be easier to meet and help you stay motivated to complete even more, bigger goals!
 
What about you?  What motivates you?  Any tips?

Labels: