First Run!

Happy Friday! I hope some of you are lucky enough to be enjoying a long Easter weekend. The weather in Boston is beautiful today.  It's really starting to feel like spring!


Since I'm off today and the weather is in the 50s, I thought it would be a perfect opportunity to go for my first run since injuring myself.  After foam rolling, I laced up my shoes and headed over to the Arnold Arboretum.  I've lived near the Arboretum for over eight years, yet this was my first time here.  I will definitely come back soon!  I'm really lucky to live where I do - I am near so many beautiful parks and trails and I'm excited to explore some new areas now that it's warmer.


I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I got to the Arboretum and I was happy to find paved bike/walk paths as well as some off-road paths.  Since this was my first post-injury run, I wanted to take it easy.  I started by walking up a hill, then ran for two minutes.  I continued this for 35 minutes, increasing my running time to four minutes.  I know that's not much, but I am worried I will reinjure myself.  I felt great during the run, but am a little sore now.  I have stretched and foam rolled, but I think I may need to take a Motrin to help with the soreness.  I plan to try running again soon, but not for a few more days.  I want to be sure I let my body heal and I think I'll be good to run again come Monday.


I was starving when I got home, so I whipped up a sweet potato pie smoothie which I drank while I foam rolled.  I'm headed out shortly to meet a friend for a walk.  I hope you have a great weekend and a Happy Easter!

Labels: , , ,