A Healthier Start to 2013

Happy 2013!  I know a lot of people say this, but I can't believe another year has passed.  Where did the time go?  I am not typically one for resolutions, but I do feel like January 1 is a good time to reflect on past years as well as the year ahead of you.  I've decided to set a few fitness/health goals for 2013 and I am really going to try my best to stick to them.  So far, these are the goals I've set:

Work out at least four times a week
Walk/Run 1,000 miles*
Complete a half marathon without any walking (I've done it once, I can do it again!)
Complete a sub-30 5k (may be a stretch!)
Incorporate more weight training
Clean up my eating

Some of these seem to be easy enough, but I have been struggling with consistent exercising and clean eating lately.  Exercising four days a week may not seem like a lot to some, but I feel like it's a good start.  As for cleaner eating, I plan to create a menu at the beginning of each week and stick with it.  I typically make all my meals and rarely eat out anyway, so hopefully this won't be too hard to do.

With healthier eating in mind, here are a few links to some recipes I've posted.  I hope they'll help you kick off your healthy new year.

Shamrock Smoothie


Avocado Hummus


Chipotle Turkey Chili


Smoothie Making Tips


Golden Beet Salad


Whole Wheat Greek Yogurt Pancakes


Healthier Pumpkin Bread



Any resolutions for the new year?  If so, what do you do to stay on track?  Have a safe, happy, and healthy 2013!

*Edited to add walk

Labels: , , ,