A Threesome and a Wall

I can't believe Labor Day is this weekend.  I know, I know - EVERYone is saying that!  But really.  August has flown by so quickly!  Normally it wouldn't bother me, but I have a very busy September and I'm not as prepared for it as I should be.  You see, I am signed up to run three (hence the title of this post) 1/2 marathons in the span of four weeks.  Originally, it would have been four races in six weeks, but I opted not to run my Labor Day weekend race.

Now, you'd think I would have properly trained for my upcoming races.  You know, so I could run them comfortably and without injury.  Well...  That was my intention, but I never really followed through.  Since I haven't posted in a while, let me back up a bit.  Running wise, my summer started off great.  I participated in the Runner's World Summer Running Streak and ran a minimum of a mile per day between Memorial Day and July 4th (38 days).  Many days I had no desire to run, but I made a commitment to myself that I would, no, that I could do this.  I did - I ran every dang day during the streak, and believe me when I tell you that some days it took all of my energy just to knock out one mile.  By the end of the streak, I had even set a new one mile PR!  When the streak was over, I felt a sense of accomplishment, but I was also really tired of running.  That's not the feeling you want to have when you're gearing up for 1/2 marathon training.

After completing the streak, I took a few days off from running.  I'd hit really hit a wall.  I had no desire to run, but knew I needed some form of exercise in my life!  It also didn't help that mid-July, I was diagnosed with Piriformis Syndrome.  I was advised by my doctor to rest for at least seven days.  I did and felt better (still not 100%).  I took a lot of walks and even incorporated more weight training into my routine.  But, I didn't run because I knew I had three 1/2 marathons on the horizon and I wanted to participate in all three - I knew I needed to heal before I could log more miles.  Truth be told, I wasn't missing running too much (damn wall!).
I'm slowly easing back into running, but it's not so easy to break through that wall.  I seem to have lost some of my running fitness.  Because I haven't been running consistently, I have added a good 30 seconds onto my pace per mile.  Ugh.  I've decided to make a pact with myself to not get upset or discouraged.  As long as I'm out there running, I'm still better off than if I was sitting on my sofa at home.  I'm sure many of you have seen the following mantra in some form or another floating around Pinterest.  I tell myself this when I feel like giving up on a run.  Why yes, those are my legs in the photo!  ;)


So, to help break through the wall, I have created a plan and I will do my best to stick with it!  If I put it out here on the interwebs, then it makes it easier for me to be accountable, right?  I bought a spin bike which will help me cross-train.  I think cycling is a great form of exercise and definitely helps build strength in your quads, hamis and glutes!  I also want to continue to incorporate new forms of exercise.  I've gone on a couple of hikes this summer and I really enjoy it.  I know it's just walking, but depending on the trail, you can get a great workout!  Plus, the scenery is a bonus!  Here is what my plan is for the week:

TH: Run three miles
F: Spin and weights
S: Run four miles
SU: Hike
M: Rest / Leisurely walk and/or weights
T: Run three miles
W: Spin and weights


´╗┐What are your tips for breaking through a wall?
Do you have a mantra that you repeat while exercising?

Hope you all have a safe and happy Labor Day weekend!  Get out there and enjoy the summer while it's still here!

Labels: , ,