Roasted Golden Beet Salad

I don't know about you, but I used to think beets were the worst food on the face of this earth.  Growing up, my mom would serve Harvard beets.  The smell alone made me sick to my stomach, let alone the texture and earthiness of them.  I tried them a couple times as an adult and still didn't care for them.  Then I tried golden beets and I loved them!  The first time I prepared them was tonight and I tried to mimic a salad I saw on a menu in Portland, ME.  I didn't order the salad while in Portland because it was made with red beets but I kept it in the back of my mind and wanted to try it as soon as I got my hands on some golden beets.

Since I'd never prepared beets, I had to google how to roast beets.  I was happy to find that it is super simple to roast beets.  All you need is a little foil and some olive oil and you're good to go.  Depending on the size of the beets, they cook fairly quickly which makes this a good salad for a weeknight.  I urge you to try this salad soon.  You won't regret it!

Roasted Golden Beet Salad
Serves: 1-2 (one as a side and two as a pre-meal salad)

Four (4) small golden beets
Olive oil
Feta cheese
Pistachios
Black truffle olive oil (or just regular olive oil)
Salt & pepper



Preheat oven to 425 (If you're using the oven to cook something else, use the same temperature, but add some more time if it's lower than 425).  Take enough foil to fold over and make a pouch around the beets.  Place the beets on the foil and drizzle with olive oil.  Fold foil over beets and seal tightly so that no steam or oil escapes while cooking.  Place directly on the oven rack and cook until soft.  I had mine in a 375 oven for 40 minutes while my meatloaf cooked.  Then I turned the heat up to 425 and cooked for another 20 minutes.

Once beets are cooked, open the foil to let cool enough to peel (forgot to snap a photo of the roasted beets!).  Or, if you're impatient like me, put them in the fridge for about 15 minutes.  Once cool enough to handle, peel and slice the beets.  Arrange the beets on a plate and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle the beets with olive oil and sprinkle with feta and pistachios.

Enjoy!

Labels: , ,